starlightmasque: (Default)
[personal profile] starlightmasque
I used (and abused) the Laughing Moon 126 pattern, with the gathered bib front.

purp11

This gown was made for my SIL to wear to Costume College this summer, so some of you will be seeing it live in a few months!

purp8

The fabric choice was both horrible and wonderful at the same time. Wonderful because it looks AMAZING-- it's super gorgeous. It has a hot pink warp with a bright turquoise weft and it makes a shimmering lavender color that looks much nicer in person than in pictures. Will I ever use a fabric that photos easily? I don't think so. Also on the wonderful side is my SIL-- a beautiful blue-eyed blonde who rocks this color like you wouldn't believe. That's about it for wonderful. Everything else was shitty! It was warped off grain, went permanently limp with steam, had permanent creases from where it was folded on the bolt, couldn't handle needle punctures without permanent damage, any droplet of water would make a permanent water mark, had to use the bias to make the sleeve/neckline/back ties because it looked really bad the other way, top-stitching looked like ass, no thread on earth matched it, and it just sucked in every way possible. Lucky for this gown the fabric had a pretty face, because it had the shittiest personality!

purp12

I'm not sure yet if I'm a fan of the drop-front gown. I don't like the way it looks where it has to be pinned to the bodice. It looks unfinished to me. Plus, the big old open slashes down the sides I'm not fond of.  I like everything perfectly in place with no room for wardrobe malfunctions. This dress seems to be begging to malfunction at inopportune times. At least I have a few months to address whatever could go wrong. Anyone have and tips and hints for me?

purp10

purp7

I can't make anything plain. I just can't. So, I spent way too much time trying to come up with this pleated fan thing border. I looked at hundreds of extant gowns and fashion plates and whatever I tried to mimic, it just didn't look good in person with this fabric. This one looked okay. I really wanted it to be all lavender without any turquoise showing, but finally I just gave up and did it the easy way. WHICH DID NOT END UP EASY AT ALL.

purp13

Pinning the pleat stacks in place--

purp1

Tacking them around the hem--

purp2

Fluffing out the fan shape and tacking them in place--

purp3

Then on to the bigger row, using my scalloped scissors for the edges. (I guess that's another thing for the wonderful pile-- it cut like a dream.)

purp4

Pinned in place above the other row--

purp5

Fanned out and tacked down, then stitched down in strategic places to hold the fan shape. This all took WAY LONGER than I ever expected. I guess I wouldn't be me without seriously underestimating stuff. It was very very time consuming!

purp6

So, that's my first Regency dress. I think it turned out very pretty! Anyone have any ideas what to accessorize it with?




From:
Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
User
Account name:
Password:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
Subject:
HTML doesn't work in the subject.

Message:

 
Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags

Profile

starlightmasque: (Default)
starlightmasque

April 2015

S M T W T F S
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Page generated Sep. 24th, 2017 09:06 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios